What’s your biggest fear? Or if I generalize this question a bit, “What’s the biggest fear of human beings?” Well, besides all the plethora of phobias that comes in your mind, the biggest concern we all have is the fear of LOSING. Yes, it’s true! In some instances, losing something or someone can be the biggest blow you can get in your life. And the same goes for all the Internet users and nerds around, yes all of us!
Online Backup VS External Storage- No-Brainer!
And that brings us down to the topic in discussion, “Online backup”. At some point in our lives, we have all lost our precious data files in form of photos, presentations, videos etc. We just don’t lose some content that’s measured in KBs or MBs, but we lose our memories, our personal work and a part of history that was associated with us.
Back in the days, we have tried different backup options like, external hard drives, USBs, Micro SD cards; but unfortunately, they were all prone to disasters like flood, fire and other related natural calamities. And even if these backup devices weren’t exposed to such elements, there always a chance that they’ll get corrupt instantaneously.
So, let’s dwell on the problems associated with storing data on external storage devices a little more, before we tell you the advantages of Online Backup, and how are they better (actually way better) than external storage.
Data Storage Disadvantages On External Hard Drives
Backing up your files on a personal device may accompany several disadvantages:
- You can lose your data: External hard drives can fail due to malware, user error and bugs, hence forcing you to lose your important data.
- Risk of theft: The chances for data theft are quite high, as these drives can easily be concealed. You don’t want to lose your data to your rival.
- Prone to breakage: Hard drive is fragile and hence need proper care. During winters, electrostatic discharge can also be an issue.
- Overheating blues: External hard drives can heat up to 50oC in summers during constant use.
- Always occupy the space in your bag or pocket: External hard drives have to be carried along, you can’t risk forgetting them.
- Likely to get affected by hazards: These drives are susceptible to certain hazards like fire, flooding and theft.
Why Online Backup Is The Safest Bet?
Considering all these risk factors, the need for an alternative becomes evident. There has to be a concrete solution to get away with storage hassles. Using a good backup plan offered by various ‘online backup services’, is worthwhile in this regard.
Online backup services mostly utilize cloud storage technology to store your data. You can begin to use it by setting it through a simple one-time procedure. In comparison to local drive backup, online backup services are reliable, convenient and easy.
Anyone can enjoy these services; you don’t need to be in a large enterprise or business to use them. Hence, while doing this online backup vs. external hard drives comparison, you will realize the multifarious benefits of online backup will simply overshadow the latter. Here are some more tidbits to add to this discussion.
Advantages Of Online Backup Services
Here are some of the prominent benefits of using online backup services that will surely convince you to backup your data by the end of this article.
- Affordable backup service: Thinking of all the advantages, you may think these backup storage services are expensive. Thankfully, you can easily afford them since you need to spend only a meager amount, depending on respective service providers.
- Access the data from anywhere: This can be considered as the major advantage of online backup services. You can access and download the files from anywhere, and download the ones you need. You can also synchronize the files from multiple machines. That’s the magnificence of cloud storage.
- Sharing becomes easy: It also provides you an option to share the folders and files with your colleagues, family and friends. This increases collaboration at work while keeping a safe backup of all your files.
- Files are secured: Larger online backup corporations take good care of the file encryption as an important part of their backup services. They secure your files on your system as well as on their servers by using advanced encryption methods.
- Safety of the data: In addition to the online security of the files, your files remain safe during the occurrence of any mishap as well. The fact that online backup services store these files off-site, keep them protected in any unforeseen circumstance like theft or fire, you can restore all your data within a couple of hours.
- Versatility: Several service providers allow you the online backup solutions at the application, file or machine level, which lets you to backup almost everything from a small file to a server.
Incredible Features Of Online Backup Services- You just can’t neglect them!
While doing an external hard drives vs online backup evaluation, you will realize how the multifarious features of online backup just outshine the contemporary USB drive storage modes. Here is a list of some of these eminent features:
- Versioning: File versioning is one of the most powerful features offered by online backup service providers. It helps to keep multiple versions of the file, in an event, where you accidentally delete a copy of the file.
- Multiplatform support: Online backup services help to share or view any file stored in the cloud.
- Personalized encryption key: You can encrypt your data with the help of an online backup service before sharing it with others. However, most of the unauthorized users on the servers can also access it by default, which acts as an advantage for hackers. Hence, it is better to opt for backup services that offer personal encryption key known to only the intended users and is not stored on the servers.
- Continuous backups: Online backup services monitors your computer continuously for new file or changes in the file and uploads it immediately. It helps to reduce any chance of data losing.
- In place restoration: In the online backup service, you have the option to place every file in the original location without the tedious load of dragging and clicking. It saves your time.
- Deduplication: This compression technique allows backup solution providers for businesses to remove the redundant copies of data. Consequently, when users upload an already existing file on the servers, it gets uploaded instantly, without consuming any bandwidth.
- Unlimited versioning: Online backup services the various versions of your files, which can help you to restore either older version or the latest version.
- Physical restore: You can return the files to your hard drive or flash drive anytime, which can help to restore the data quickly.
- Seeding: This option helps you in your initial online backup when you need to backup a large number of files altogether. It provides backup to your file on the external hardware first and then sends it to the center. The center uploads our backup data on the server.
- Data backup from hard drives: Some of the online services give an option to backup the data from your hard drives when connected.
- Sharing and syncing: In addition to data backup, you can also share the selected items or sync to multiple computers.
Some Of The Prominent Online Backup Service Providers Include:
Here are some renowned online backup service providers that’ll keep your data safe and intact:
- Offers unlimited online backup for Windows, Mac and Linux
- Flexible, secure and affordable
- 448-bit encryption
- Free mobile app to access your cloud files from your smartphones
- CrashPlan + Cloud Storage available for $10 per user per month
- Free 30-day trial also available
- Allows to access the files through Android and Apple iOS devices
- $50 per computer per year for unlimited storage
- Offers 10GB free space with account creation
- Ensures business backup & disaster recovery
- Best for backing up music, photos, and other office and home files
- Simple management tools with superior security level
- Basic Personal plans available at $59.99 per year for 1 computer with unlimited cloud storage
IDrive Online Backup
- It gives Personal 1 TB sync space at just $44.62
- Allows mobile backup for Android and iPhone devices
- Encrypts local backups and extends mobile storage
By now, it should have become easier for you to understand why online backup services hold a widespread demand among the masses. You can rely on it without thinking twice and thankfully, the struggle you go through every day for data backup is over.
Wait! Do you still want some more information before you decide to opt for any of these online backup solutions over the external hard drives? Don’t fret; just feel free to express your concerns with us at ReviewsDir. We will be prompt to provide you with relevant suggestions on the same.