Windows is the most widely used operating system around the globe, and that is why whenever a new Windows version rolls out, IT enthusiasts and hackers are always trying to find a loophole, and eventually they do. On the official website, Microsoft shared the news that the new version, Windows 10 has over 300 Million active users. Huge numbers, isn’t it? But on the other hand, these users are also under the radar of hackers and data snoopers. Majority of the flaws are detected at the network’s end, and that is where all your personal information flows into the digital world.
To make sure that you have that added layer of security, Windows VPN comes to the rescue. And that is why we have listed 5 best VPN for Windows that will make all your online activities not only safe but anonymous.
$8.32 per month
Exclusive 35% Discount
$6.55 per month
You Save 42%
$3.29 per month
You Save 72% on Yearly Plan
$6.49 per month
You Save 46% on VPN Purchase
$8.33 per month
Why are Windows Users More Prone to Online Security Threats?
Microsoft Windows enjoys the reputation of being the most widely used operating system worldwide. Ever since its launch in 1985, it quickly became popular and ruled the industry. Windows hold about 90% of market share of the operating system. Windows is no doubt the most widely used and recognized operating system in the world, it is also a target of cyber criminals thus the least private and vulnerable. Throughout the years, there have been many bugs reported that exposed the security vulnerabilities in Windows. Thus, it is strongly recommended that you should have a VPN for Windows installed and activated in your Windows device at all times.
What is a VPN and Why VPN for Windows is a MUST?
A Virtual Private Network builds a secure connection over the internet so that all your data goes through an encryption tunnel. It will mask your IP address and all the communication that passes through the encryption is indecipherable.The advantages of a Windows VPN do not stop at just online privacy and battling hacking scares; there are many uses of a VPN for Windows. Many people don’t know this, but the internet surveillance laws actually authorize the government to log our online activities, can you believe it? What you do online can end up in a log somewhere, for a privacy buff like me it is an invasion of my privacy, and it is unacceptable. A Windows VPN can help mask your IP address giving you complete anonymity online which helps in avoiding the unnecessary and unappreciated monitoring. VPN for Windows also lets you stream your favorite content globally regardless of your location. Geo-restriction is another thing that a good VPN for Windows can help us jump through.
Summary of Best VPN for Windows
Now that we have established that a Windows VPN is a must have, the question is which one should you go for? Don’t worry; we have got you covered there as well. Below, we have reviewed a list of 5 best free and paid VPN services for Windows that you can choose from.
ExpressVPN is undoubtedly one of the best Windows VPN available today, and it comes highly recommended by us. It has a geographically scattered network of 100+ servers in more than 78 countries which gives you a plethora of locations to choose from. The best thing about ExpressVPN is its zero log policy; Since the company is located in the British Virgin Islands, it falls outside the US or UK jurisdiction hence exempt from strict US data retention laws. Express VPN supports a 256-bit SSL encryption, lightning fast connection speed, and 24/7 customer support. These are all great features that make them a reliable, secure and one of the best VPN for Windows.It also comes with a 30-day free trial so you can try out its Windows VPN service before you buy it for an annual or a monthly fee.
Nord VPN service is making its way to the top of the list of the best VPN for Windows. They use strict encryption protocols to ensure top of the line security with fast connection speeds. It is best for streaming lovers as it streams any content almost immediately. They have a geographically scattered network across 49 locations worldwide. Nord VPN has a strictly zero-log policy and a ‘double data encryption’ technology which assure user’s privacy. Another amazing feature of Nord VPN is accepting payment via Bitcoins. All in all, Nord VPN in terms of security and data protection is one of the best VPNs for Windows available in the VPN market offering $5.75 a month.
3. IPVanish VPN
IPVanish is catching on to become one of the highest rated Windows VPN providers. The main reason for its popularity is its special focus on online security and its impressive speed. IPVanish is straightforward offering over 180 servers in more than 60 countries. The Windows version is easy to use and it shows you a variety of servers to choose from, you can even save your preferred locations for future use. It comes with a 7-day money back guarantee so if you don’t like what you see (we highly doubt it), you can easily get your money back.
VyprVPN is owned by GoldFrog, and the best feature of VyprVPN is that all of its networks and servers are company owned. They don’t go through a third party which makes it a much securer option. VyprVPN has an impressive network of over 700+ servers in more than 58 countries globally. It supports 256-bit encryption with impressive connection speeds. It’s quite a worthy competitor in our list of the best VPN for Windows.VyprVPN offers a free 3-day trial so that you can use the service before you go ahead and purchase it for a monthly or an annual fee.
5. Private Internet Access
Private Internet Access (PIA) VPN is another prominent provider in our Windows VPN list. They have been They have around for a while and its popularity has only seemed to increase. Millions of satisfied customers across the globe vouch for the exceptional service and privacy PIA VPN offers. It has a network of over 3000 servers in 77+ countries giving you millions of IPs to switch. PIA boasts a no log policy and supports P2P tunneling protocols on its servers. With 256-bit encryption support and impressive connection speeds, it is an ideal option for all the privacy enthusiasts. PIA is quite a big name among the Windows VPN users because of its popularity which compelled us to put this awesome VPN service on our list of best VPN for Windows.PIA comes with a 7-day money back guarantee, so there is no reason for you not to try this service out.
How to Setup VPN on Windows 7
We have previously discussed how a Windows VPN functions. A VPN creates a private network that transmits and receives data via a secure and encrypted tunnel.We will be enlisting the setup process on Windows 7 here. First and foremost, you need a VPN service provider so select one of the best VPN for Windows mentioned above and use our step by step guide to setup VPN on your device within a matter of minutes.
Setting Up VPN on Windows 7:
- Note the IP and Domain Name of the Network you are going to be connected to.
- Your VPN service provider will send your username and password to your registered email.
- Select the protocol you wish to utilize i.e. PPTP, L2TP/IPSec or OpenVPN.
- Go to the Control Panel → Network and Internet →Network and Sharing Center →Change your Network Settings → Setup a New Connection or Network.
- Choose “Connection Option”. Click on “Connect to a Workplace” then click on Next. Select “NO” in the option then appears next and click on “New Connection” then click “Next”.
- Click on My Internet Connection and select the first option, you will then be required to provide “Destination Name” and “Internet Address”.
- Fill in the required information that you should already have provided by your Administrator or ISP.
- Check the boxes on “Smart Card” and “Connect Now” as per your requirements.
- You will be asked to provide your “User Name” and “Password”.
- “New Connection” will appear in the system tray. Once you click on the Connection, it will ask you to provide the password again if you haven’t selected the Remember password option.
- You can choose the protocol and encryption level according to your needs by clicking on properties and then selecting “Security Properties”. Once you hit the OK button, you will be redirected to the main window.
- Hit “Connect” and enjoy your newly found online freedom.
How to Setup VPN on Windows 8 and 8.1:
Installation and Setting up Process on Windows 8 and 8.1 is almost similar. Read on for our step by step guide.
Setting Up VPN on Windows 8.1:
- You will receive an email from your Windows VPN service provider with your credentials i.e. Username and Password. Choose your desired server from the list of available servers.
- Go to ‘Settings’, Search for ‘VPN’ and choose ‘Setup a Virtual Private Network (VPN) Connection’ from the search results.
- You will be redirected to a new window where you are required to click on ‘Setup a New Connection or Network’→ Connection→Connect to a Workplace.
- Choose ‘Use my Internet Connection(VPN).
- Choose your ‘Server’ and ‘VPN Connection Name’. You can name your VPN connection yourself while server has to be selected from the available list of servers on your provider’s website. Once done, click ‘Create’.
- A new ‘VPN Connection’ will appear. Right Click on it and go to ‘Connection Properties’ and select your desired protocol i.e. PPTP, L2TP/IPSec or OpenVPN from the dropdown menu.
- Once you open the newly created ‘VPN Connection’, you will be asked to provide your credentials, input them as you have received them in the mail and click ‘Connect Now’.
- Once connected, you are all set to embark on an anonymous journey.
How to Setup VPN on Windows 10:
Though setting up VPN on Windows 10 is relatively easy, it’s always good to have some guidance.
Setting Up VPN on Windows 10:
- Access the Start Menu, Go to Settings, Click on Network and Setting and Select VPN from the Menu on the left side of the screen.
- Click the little + sign meaning ‘Add a VPN Connection’, it will open a new window asking you to provide your VPN Provider Name, Connection Name, Server Address and VPN type.
- Choose ‘Windows Default’ under VPN Provider, Input the IP address you received from your service provider under ‘Server Name or Address’. Select Automatic or your desired protocol under VPN type.
- It will then ask you to provide your credentials, provide them and click on “Remember my sign-in information’ if you don’t want to re-enter the information each time you access your VPN. Hit save and go back to ‘Add VPN’ page.
- You will now see a new VPN connection under the ‘Add VPN’ button. Click on the newly created and hit Connect. You are now connected to the VPN, Go ahead and browse anonymously and securely.
So, which VPN for Windows are you going to choose? We know not every VPN Windows would work for everyone and most of you have already been the users of the VPN services mentioned above. So, we would like to hear from you. What’s your preference? What’s your pick? Have we really listed the best VPN for Windows or is there any other VPN service which you would like to see on this list? Let us know in the comments section below!