Skype is “the” for video calls around the world. It was also the priority option for international voice calls but Whatsapp seems to have captured that market. However, Skype to Skype call is still preferred by many users who have friends and relatives living in other countries. Also, Skype provides the feature of calling landline and mobile numbers. Overall, Skype is the best thing to have happened to the internet and telecommunication.
However, Skype cannot be used in its ideal form in many parts of the world. The video calling app has a history of being banned or throttled by ISPs for their personal gains. The government in many regions are threatened by Skype because it cannot monitor (read spy) the communication. In some countries, large telecommunication providers are endangered because Skype provides free service whereas they charge heavily for national and international calls.
It is not shocking or uncommon to hear stories about Skype ban or interruptions from different corners of the world. Fortunately, there seems to be a solution for this mess in the form of Skype VPN. A VPN for Skype lets you enjoy seamless audio and video calls via Skype without the fear of government ban or ISP’s interruption.
Skype VPN Settings: Step By Step Guide To Setup A VPN For Skype
It is pretty easy to set up a VPN for Skype. We have mentioned all the steps involved in setting up a VPN for Skype here;
- Select a Skype VPN and sign up via its official website
- Install and download Skype client on your desktop (in case of a mobile, download the app from designated app store)
- Switch on the Skype VPN and connect to a preferred VPN server. We will recommend connecting to a US VPN server as Skype works perfectly there.
- Once you are sure of Skype VPN connection, sign in to your Skype account and initiate the call.
Note: Different Skype VPN providers have slightly different sign-up and connection process. In case, you cannot figure out how to set up a VPN for Skype, contact us and we will help you.
What Are The 5 Best VPNs For Skype?
It is a trick question. There is no one ultimate best VPN for Skype. Some Skype VPNs works in specific locations while others work in different locations. It is safe to say that best VPN service for Skype is relative and highly dependent on factors like location, laws, and regulations.
Having said that, we can assure you the VPNs mentioned here are right for Skype. They all fit the criteria to be the best VPN service for Skype. Also, we would like to remind you that this list is updated regularly based on the current stature of Skype VPN service providers.
$6.67 per month
Exclusive 48% Discount
$3.99 per month
You Save 72%
$6.55 per month
You Save 43%
$2.75 per month
Save 77% on 18 Months Plan
$2.42 per month
78% Off on Ultimate VPN
Also, you should remember following settings when connecting to a Skype VPN for best results;
- Your encryption setting should be OpenVPN
- Your Skype VPN must have stealth VPN servers
Is Free VPN For Skype Viable Option?
Skype bans and interruptions are ordered by giants like government authorities and leading telecommunication companies. When you are dealing with the big guns, a free VPN for Skype doesn’t stand a chance to defend you. Free VPNs for Skype have a long history of failing the users. It is our humble recommendation to never rely on a free VPN for Skype. You will end up losing more in an effort to save some bucks. Quality Skype VPN service comes at a price tag and you cannot get it for free. So spend a little on Skype VPN for unlimited benefits of free calling.
Skype VPN Is A Necessity: Long History Of Skype Bans And Interruptions
You will be shocked to see the number of countries that have blocked or interrupted Skype at some point of time. Without wasting a moment let’s dive straight into it.
Following countries have banned Skype;
- North Korea
Whereas following countries face interruptions and bans while using Skype because of one reason or other;
- Egypt: no Skype when there is political unrest in the country
- Mexico: ISPs actively block VoIP services like Skype
- Panama: There is a heavy Skype tax imposed by government
- Venezuela: ISPs interrupts Skype for personal benefits
- Russia: Government and telecommunication companies are against VoIP services
- Jordan: Skype is mostly blocked
- Pakistan: Expensive tariff for landline and mobile calls on Skype
- Syria: Limited access
- Vietnam: Limited access
- Tunisia: Political unrest affects Skype
- Myanmar: Requires special permission to use Skype
- Iran: ISP throttling makes it impossible to call via Skype
Verdict: VPN For Skype Cannot Be Avoided
VPN for Skype cannot be avoided, especially if you live in a place where Skype bans or interruptions are frequent. However, not all VPNs can work on Skype. It is your duty to take the decision with utmost care and concentration. After all, you should be able to make smooth calls with Skype VPN. If your VPN for Skype doesn’t fulfill this purpose then you have wasted the money.
Do you use a VPN for Skype? What is your Skype VPN of choice? Please share your answers with us in the comments section below.