Cloud storage was relatively an unknown phenomenon a few years back. In 2012, when asked “what is cloud?”, 51% of Americans associated it with the weather. Thankfully, this cloud of the unknown was not present in 2014 as 800 million people were active users of Dropbox, Google Drive, and One Drive. We are in 2017 now, and the penetration of Cloud Storage is pretty much all over the place.
Individuals, small businesses, large corporations, and anyone in-between are always on the lookout to find the best online storage options. For established entities, affording cloud storage isn’t a big deal. However, for startups, entrepreneurs, and budding businessmen, online storage is an excessive expense that’s extremely crucial for their day-to-day business functions. Naturally, the finance factor comes into play, and it becomes more than ever important to find a cloud storage candidate that can provide it all at an unbelievable cost.
It is true that cloud storage is crowded with service providers, each focusing on different pain points of customers. As a cheapest online storage seeker, it is your responsibility not only to find an economical match but a technical one as well. Your cloud storage provider must fulfill all the unique requirements and needs of your business.
For your convenience, we have found the fantastic five in the cheapest cloud storage category. We can assure you these are not selected randomly but chosen after a long, tiring research process conducted by our cloud-nerds. Without further ado, let’s tell you all;
5 Cheapest Cloud Storage Services to Subscribe Now
After days of researching, testing, and assessing countless cheap cloud storage service providers, our team finally agreed upon the following five. These five are not only most affordable online storage options, but they provide amazing service too. We proudly present our list of the five cheapest cloud storage services;
$7.61 per month
Exclusive 42% Off
$0.99 per month
$1.99 per month
$5.83 per month
$7.49 per month
Some Great Features That Come With Cheapest Online Storage Services
When we talk about storage, we have seen many different phases like Floppy Disks, DVDs, CDs, and more recently USBs. In fact, Dropbox CEO Drew Houston got the idea of cloud storage when he was sick of misplacing his USBs. And it seemed that cloud storage suddenly became the favorite of all due to its countless qualities and features. Here are some of the great features that come with cheap online storage providers;
- Automated Backup: Backups are really important, but if they are supposed to be done manually, it is almost a tedious job. Cloud storage automates this process. You just have to adjust the settings of your cloud storage once and enjoy the hassle free backup process forever.
- Accessibility: Today, people own multiple devices, and they want to access all their work all the time. Cloud makes it possible. A businessman ought to check the presentation on his smartphone while traveling on the tube before the meeting and Cloud storage allows it to happen. Cloud storage is about having access to your files 24/7 on any device.
- Sharing and Collaboration: Cloud Storage lets you share files, folders, data or anything to anyone. You can work on a project with four to five people remotely with cloud storage. All can access a document and edited/updated accordingly.
- Sync: When you are sharing and collaborating, sync becomes inherently crucial. It is important to see the real-time changes in the document. Cloud storage is not about just online backups, but it also makes collaboration in real-time possible with features like sync.
- Security: Security is extremely important when you have the vital data uploaded online in a 3rd party’s server. If it is under threat of any exploitation or possible theft, the whole concept of cheap online storage is useless. That’s why all cheap cloud storage providers have defined impenetrable security as their utmost priority.
Is Cheap Online Storage A Right Choice?
Of course, during the debate of cheapest online storage providers, it came to our mind why are we running after the most inexpensive options? Why aren’t we going for the free cloud storage providers if money is of such vital importance? Well, we did find an answer in the form of few defining factors, and we would love to share our logic with you;
- Security: Mostly free cloud storage plans offer dwindling security. The files are very much vulnerable to exploitation. Now if you have a few random files then it is okay to use the free versions. However, if you are dealing with sensitive data then a paid cheap online storage is probably the best approach. Otherwise, pardon our French; you will be no more than a fool to stick to free online storage.
- Bandwidth: The download and upload speed are very different for paid and free cloud plans. You won’t understand the difference if you haven’t used the paid version ever. But one experience with cheap online storage providers will be enough to demonstrate the humungous difference. In the world we are currently living, anything that saves time is always appreciated.
- Storage Space: This one is obvious. The free space is extremely limited and you will run out of it one day, which will arrive too soon. The paid versions often give you enough space to function without worrying about the size of each file you upload in the cloud. Also, considering the fact that cheapest online storage providers are selling you online space and it is their prime commodity, this one was pretty obvious to guess.
Review Of The Cheapest Cloud Storage Services
Earlier we just told you the names and a few features of our top 5 cheapest online storage providers, now we will try to present each service provider with a brief review. The idea is to introduce the cheapest cloud storage service providers so that it can help you in making a buying decision.
JustCloud offers free account with just 1 GB space. It is the lowest free account offer from any cloud service provider in the market. JustCloud has a unique offering in its payment mode. They allow the customer to buy any package on monthly, half-yearly, yearly, or 2-yearly basis. The 24-month package comes with least monthly cost than other packages. Such flexibility in payment isn’t offered by many cheapest online storage service providers. The Home/Pro plan which offers 75 GB storage space for $10.69/month can be availed for $182.64 in a 24-month package. It brings down the cost of Home/Pro plan to an astounding $7.61/month. However, 2 years seem like a huge time commitment to buy any package just because it is cheap but when economics is the key factor, JustCloud is a reliable service provider.
- Home/Pro Plan – 75GB for $10.69 a month
- Premium Plan – 250GB for $11.94 a month
- Ultimate Plan – 1TB for $14.44 a month
Dropbox is the oldest and most renowned name in the cloud world. It should not come as surprise that Dropbox is among the cheapest cloud storage service providers. Dropbox offers signature 2 GB free account. The one thing that Dropbox does and nobody else dares is the referrals. You can earn up to 16 GB free space by referring Dropbox to your family and friends. For each friend that signs up because of you, 500 MB of free space is added into your account. As for the paid accounts, Dropbox has an unbeatable offer of 1TB space for $8.25 only and then there are business plans. Although, we are a bit uncomfortable with lack of options in Dropbox’s pricing plans. However, Dropbox still is the market leader in more than one way.
- Pro for individuals – 1TB for $8.25
- Business for teams – unlimited space for $12.50
Google Drive is one of the most generous cheapest online storage service providers as it gives a free account of 15 GB. Unlike Dropbox, Google Drive has more options for users of different storage needs. Google Drive is home for users with considerable smaller storage requirement that revolves around 100 GB as it can be purchased for just $ 1.99 a month. Also, instead of giving unlimited storage, Google Drive offers pricing plan for 10TB, 20TB, and 30TB. Regardless to say, Google Drive is the only one out there which offers such massive storage tiers. Google Drive is accompanied with other Google products like Gmail, Photos etc, which means anything that goes into these will add up to your data storage limit.
- 100 GB for $1.99/month
- 1,000 GB for $9.99/month
- 10 TB for $99.99/month
- 20 TB – $199.99/month
- 30 TB – $299.99/month
One Drive has a free account of just 5 GB data limit. Its basic plan starts at $1.99 per month and gives 50 GB. The One Drive’s basic plan is short of almost 50 GB to compete with Google Drive. However, One Drive has an absolutely remarkable offer for 1 TB space at an affordable cost of $6.99/month. In the 1TB data limit, One Drive is a clear winner as it offers the cheapest package. However, One Drive has the same problem as Dropbox because it lacks pricing and storage options for valued customers. Overall, we are glad to put One Drive in our cheapest cloud storage service providers’ list.
- Basic – 50 GB for $1.99/month
- Personal – 1 TB for 1 user for $6.99 / month
- Home – 1 TB each for 5 users for $9.99 / month
iCloud is again a disappointment with just 5 GB free account offer. However, it can cater to more customers because it has many pricing and space options. iCloud is ideal for people who are looking for 50 GB or 200 GB or 1 TB storage space. As you must have witnessed it, cheapest cloud storage service providers have problem with providing this basic freedom. Since Google and Apple are often put up against one another, we thought Apple would follow Google’s lead of offering 10TB or 20TB data storage space but it didn’t. Finally, iCloud provides flawless services and knows how to satisfy a customer.
- 50GB for $0.99/month
- 200GB for $2.99/month
- 1TB for $9.99/month
- 2TB for $19.99/month
We have given our verdict about the cheapest online storage service providers in detail. At the end of the day, you cannot just pick one service provider and declare it the cheapest because there are many factors that play a deciding role. For instance, in 50 GB category, only two service providers are competing – One Drive ($1.99/month) and iCloud ($0.99/month) – where iCloud is a clear winner.
The most important thing is to know the exact storage space required for your business function. As storage space narrows down the available cheapest cloud storage service providers and makes picking the right one an easier job. Of course, you must be aware of the fact that storage requirement and pricing shouldn’t be the only factors to consider before buying. Other components like security, customer service, download/upload speed, and many more must also be part of choosing an ideal cheapest online storage.